Even on secure websites such as the Sears Secure Sign On there is a chance of fraud if you do not maintain your account appropriately. What should the users do to maintain the online Sears account safe?
Here is an overview of guidelines that every Sears card users should follow to protect themselves online.
1. Do not share online account details with others: Online login details such as the user id and password should be neither shared with anyone nor noted down anywhere. The details should be kept confidential. Never answer spam mails requesting for the password or the pin number so as to update your online account.
2. Change the password periodically: Do not continue to use the same password for a very long time. Keep changing the password at least once in three months to keep your account safe.
3. Use mix of alphabets and numbers for creating password: The password you create should be impossible to guess by anyone. It is recommended to use a mix of alphabets and digits to create a strong password. To make it even more secure you can include special symbols such as the hyphen if the website allows. The length of the password also determines the degree of security. The minimum recommended length for creating a strong password is six characters.
4. Use latest versions of operating system and the web browser: The new and updated versions of the operating system and the web browsers contain security features. These advanced features protect you from online scams such as phishing. The updated versions can be downloaded directly from the vendorâ€™s site free of cost.
5. Keep the anti-virus updated: updated anti-virus software helps to protect you online from the attack of new viruses. Hence, it is highly recommended to purchase the updated versions as and when they are available. The vendors offer free downloads of the updated versions until certain period of time after purchasing the anti-virus software.
6. Install a personal firewall: It is strictly recommended to use firewall to protect your PC from unauthorized access i.e. the hackers. Firewall is just like your compound wall which protects others from intruding into your house. Generally, all the internet service providers offer firewall by default.
7. Check the credit report frequently: make it a habit to check the credit report regularly. This will help you to identify illegal claims made in your credit report and take necessary action immediately. Thus, protect yourself from online frauds.
Lastly, one easy tip to ensure that your account is safe from unauthorized access is to check the last login time and date every time you login the sears secure sign on and take necessary action in case of any fraud.